Friday, September 28, 2012


Hello Class,
   In this weeks blog I would like to talk about Spartan children and the way they grew up. In our society today, our parents have a say in everything we do until we are 18 years old. This was not the same for the Spartans! They only had control over their children until the age of 7! The picture below is an image of 7 year old children of today playing. I want you to keep that in mind as you read on about Spartan children. 
    Spartan girls and boys were removed from their homes at the age of 7. Girls were sent to school where they exercised, learned gymnastics and learned how to fight. The Spartans believed that the stronger the woman was,the stronger her baby would be.
    Spartan boys were removed from their homes at the age of 7. The Spartan's believed that keeping a boy with his mother would make him weak.Once removed from their homes the boys started intense training every day. To make the boys tougher,they were forced to sleep on stiff cloth placed on the floor, wear little to no clothing and were made to go without shoes to toughen up their feet. Boys would get beatings from the older boys to toughen them up for future training. 

    To become a Spartan soldier, training had to start early. That is if you even made it to the training. When a child was born, soldiers would come inspect the baby to make sure the baby was strong enough according to Spartan standards. If the baby was not strong enough, he/she would be killed or turned into a slave.

    Let's talk about it!

    I want to hear what you have to say about growing up a Spartan! Something that interested me was finding out how young the Spartans started to train their soldiers! What is going on in your head? Write about it!
    
  

12 comments:

  1. I found your blog post very informative. Particularly about spartan women. I did not know that they would learn how to fight one another. It would have been nice to see more inforamtion on them. I feel like most people already know alot about the lives of the spartan men. Otherwise it is a great opening post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Will. You are right, the focus is usually on Spartan men rather than women, I will try to find more information on Spartan girls and add it to my blog.

      Delete
  2. Your blog looks great Christine! My only suggestion is to spread it out a little bit to make it easier to read. You provided great information about Spartan kids. My only issue is if your question is to be written as a freestyle journal entry or an actual assignment? You may want to be more specific about what you want your students to write about and what type of writing this is for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments Liz! I took your advice and spread out the blog so it is easier to read. I will have to re-think on how to be more specific with what I want the children to do without making it feel like an chore. I was trying to keep it light and fun, considering the awful treatment of the Spartan children.I am going to have to make some adjustments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog looks great Christine, it is now much easier to read! I understand your point about not wanting them to feel like its a chore, that will be the hardest part in teaching.

      Delete
  4. Great comments from William and Liz. I have attached a few links which may help you implement some of their suggestions,
    http://www.historywiz.com/didyouknow/spartanfamily.htm
    http://www.historylink102.com/greece3/children.htm
    http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/Homework/greece/sparta.htm
    (this is a page from Woodlands Junior High School)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine, I have to agree with William, I found this very informative. I was enlighent by several information you posted. For example, mothers had no authority over their children once they turned 7 years of age, girls left their mothers home to training camp to strengthen their bodies, boys sleeping on hard material as a way to help strengthen them as men. I also think by asking the students to persive themselves as young Spartans growing up(is a great strategy to use to motivate students to learn, and to immerse themselves into wanting to be part of the activity that will follow.)The only little suggestion I would make is to be more explicit in asking what you want them to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Christine! I love your blog! The colors really make me what to dive into Sparta! My suggestion to you is to make the font a bit bigger so that it is easier to read! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! I will make the font a little larger.

      Delete
    2. Your Welcome! I really think it makes all the difference! Nice job your blog really looks nice! I know your class would have a fun time being on it!

      Delete
  7. This was very good Christine! I really enjoyed the background picture! And I love how you would like them to remember how their lives are when they are at that age and how different the Spartan children lived their lives! My suggestion would be maybe you could find more pictures or even a YouTube video would be very interesting and exciting! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aimelah! I agree, I do want to add a video or more pictures to spike more interest. I will work on that.

      Delete